Table of contents
- What are the health benefits of massage therapy?
- What is massage therapy, and what are the types of massage?
- What exactly do massage therapists do as they treat patients?
- How does massage therapy affect the body?
- What are any other things to think of when it comes to massage therapy?
Massage therapy is a manual, soft tissue therapy that has been designed to provide comfort for a wide range of health issues or problems. Massage is used for several health-related uses, including pain relief, athletic injury rehabilitation, stress reduction, recovery, anxiety and depression treatment, and general wellbeing.
Massage therapy has a long tradition in many countries. Today, several various forms of massage therapy are used for several health-related uses.
The word “massage therapy” refers to a variety of therapies. Besides, therapists push, massage, and otherwise manipulate the body’s muscles and soft tissues. They usually use their hands and thumbs, but they can also use their forearms, knees, or feet.
Massage Therapists at Kanata Orthopaedic Physiotherapy Clinic are trained in a variety of treatment techniques, including:
- Swedish massage
- Pregnancy Massage
- Geriatric Massage
- Relaxation Massage
- Lymphatic Drainage
- Deep tissue massage
- Myofascial Release Techniques
- Massage for TMJ (Jaw) conditions
- Sports injuries and rehabilitation
Our Registered Massage Therapists will collaborate with your physician and physiotherapist to provide you with the most comprehensive care possible.
Massage therapists practice in various environments such as private offices, clinics, nursing homes, workshops, and sports and recreation centers. Some can also visit patients’ homes or offices. They usually aim to create a relaxing atmosphere.
Often, therapists ask new patients about their conditions, personal records, and expected outcomes. They can also do a contact test to find painful or stressed areas to assess how much pressure to apply.
Typically, the patient lays on a bench, either undressed or in loose-fitting clothes. To relieve pressure on the skin, the therapist may apply oil or lotion. People can receive massage therapy while sitting in a chair. A massage session can be as short as 15 minutes or as long as an hour.
While factual research on whether massage therapy works and, if so, how it works is scarce, there is evidence that massage can help certain patients. However, one study found that evidence backs up the general conclusion that massage therapy is successful. According to the research, a single massage therapy session will reduce “condition anxiety,” blood pressure, and heart rate, whereas repeated sessions can reduce “trait anxiety,” depression, and pain.
- Massage therapy should not supplement standard medical treatment or see a doctor for a medical condition.
- If you have a medical problem and are uncertain if massage therapy is right for you, talk to your doctor about your concerns. Your doctor will also be able to assist you with finding a massage therapist.
- Before undertaking massage therapy, inquire about the therapist’s education, experience, and credentials. Inquire about the number of therapies that could be needed and the expense and insurance coverage.
- If a massage therapist recommends using such complementary and alternative medicine, first consult with your physician.
- Inform all of the healthcare services about the complementary and alternative therapies you need. Please give them a complete picture of how you treat your fitness, which will ensure that treatment is organized and secure.
Kanata Orthopaedic Physiotherapy Clinic has been serving Kanata, Stittsville, West Ottawa, Nepean and surrounding areas for over 15 years. We conveniently offer morning, afternoon and evening bookings, from Monday to Friday and Saturdays. All massages are performed in a private, confidential room, with the utmost attention to privacy. We offer both female and male Registered Massage Therapists. To book an appointment with a Registered Massage Therapist, or for specific questions about fees, please call and request an appointment for Massage Therapy.