Physiotherapy and Vestibular Rehabilitation
Are there Treatment Options?
Fortunately, a vestibular rehabilitation program provided by your Physiotherapist can help. Treatment for vestibular disorders will vary according to the diagnosis.
Vestibular rehabilitation is a drug-free approach involving specific exercises to improve balance function, decrease dizziness/vertigo symptoms, and increase general activity levels.
What can you expect?
At Kanata Orthopaedic Physiotherapy Clinic you will be seen by a Physiotherapist specifically trained in vestibular rehabilitation.
Your Physiotherapist will assess functioning in three major areas:
- Eye and head movement
- Balance and walking
- The musculoskeletal system
Following your assessment, your program may include one or more of the following:
- Balance retraining exercises
- Specific vestibular exercises
- Supervised therapy sessions to monitor progress and continually challenge the vestibular, visual, and balance systems
- Repositioning (Epley’s) maneuver for BPPV (Benign Paroxysmal Positional Vertigo), a condition where crystals are caught in the inner ear canals
- A home program of individualized vestibular exercises
You can expect to see improvement in your symptoms within 6 to 8 weeks, or sooner, depending on your specific condition.
Your Physiotherapist will always be in contact with your referring physician and/or specialist to update them on your progress.